Q. What is the Innovation Challenge
A. The Dare 2B Digital Innovation Challenge empowers young innovators within the four Downey Middle Schools to develop creative solutions for global problems using their Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) skills.
Q. What do the students have to do?
A. Form a team and develop an innovative idea to tackle a problem within Health & Wellness; Media & Entertainment; Cybersecurity & Law Enforcement; Environment; and Space & Transportation, and present their innovation in a three-minute video.
Q. How many members can be on a team?
A. A team can be 2-5 students.
Q. Does the team member(s) have to be a US Citizen?
A. No, however you must have legal residency in the US.
Q. Who can be on the team?
A. A team must comprise of students currently enrolled in one of the four Downey middle schools.
Q. How does a team register?
A. They can go here to register. An adult representative needs to register for the team.
Q. Does it cost anything to register a team?
A. No, there are no costs to register.
Q. How do I get a Mentor?
A. When the adult representative registers a team, the Dare 2B Digital team will assign them a Mentor who has experience in the chosen category.
Q. When does Team Registration close?
A. Team Registration closes on Monday, November 7, 2016, at 11:59 p.m.
Q. Does the team have to build a prototype of their idea/solution?
A. They can, but it is not required.
Q. How long does the video need to be?
A. No more than 3 minutes.
Q. When can I submit the video?
A. Video Submission opens on Monday, October 24, 2016, at 8:00 a.m. PST and closes on Sunday, November 20, 2016, at 11:59 p.m. PST. We will email instructions for submitting your video.
Q. What should be included in the video?
A. The video needs to describes the problem, explains how the idea works, and its potential impact.
Q. What should not be included in the video?
A. Any copyrighted material such as music, brands, and/or pictures should not be included in video.
Q. Can the video be in different languages?
A. No, the video needs to be in English.
Q. What is the judging criteria for the Innovation Challenge?
A. Our judges will evaluate submissions based on the following four criteria:
- Creativity: how unique is the idea and does it have innovative thinking (30%)?
- Effective Use of S.T.E.A.M: how does the innovation incorporate knowledge of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and/or Math (30%)?
- Feasibility: is the innovation possible in the near future using existing resources (20%)?
- Potential Impact: can the innovation create a positive impact on humanity (20%)?
Q. How do I submit a video?
A. The adult representative needs to upload the video to YouTube first. We will email instructions on submitting your video. Here is how you upload the video to YouTube:
- Sign in to YouTube. If you don’t already have an account, create one by clicking the button in the upper right of the screen.
- Click the Upload button at the top right of the page.
- Before you start uploading the video you can chose the video privacy settings. For the purpose of this competition, please choose Unlisted.
- Select the video you’d like to upload from your computer.
- As the video is uploading you can edit both the basic information and the advanced settings of the video.
- Click Done to finish the upload.
- If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other people. You can always publish your video at a later time in your Video Manager.
- Copy the YouTube link and paste it in the Video Submission website.
- When filling out the description of your video, please limit your explanation to six words.
Q. How will the teams know if they are selected as a top eight finalist?
A. Our Judges will review all the videos after the Video Submission close date (Sunday, November 20, 2016), pick the top eight teams, and notify the teams on Wednesday, November 30, 2016.
Q. When will the winners be announced?
A. The top eight teams will be invited to present their videos at the Dare 2B Digital Red Carpet Innovation Celebration at the Columbia Memorial Space Center, in Downey, CA, on Saturday, December 3, 2016, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The Judges will select the Grand Prize winner and two runner-up teams.
Q. What are the prizes?
A. We believe you get what you incentivize. The incredible list of prizes include the Grand Prize of an all-expenses paid trip to San Francisco to see the best of the city and visit innovative companies. Other prizes include a VIP trip to Nickelodeon Studios and JPL; a GoPro camera; and a creativity
center from KitHub.
Q. When is the Grand Prize trip to Los Angeles, CA?
A. The trip dates will take place in early 2017. Final dates will be announced at a later time.
Q. Where can I go for help or questions?
A. Contact the Innovation Challenge Directors, Alan Zack or Lynn Jones, via email.