Conference Agenda – Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016
We’re counting down to the first-ever Dare 2B Digital conference in Southern California! STEAM with the brightest innovators unveiling never-seen-before breakthroughs in virtual reality, space exploration and digital entertainment at this historic event.
8:30 – 9:15am Check-in and Breakfast
9:15 – 10:00am Welcome & Opening Keynote Session
What is Your Future Going to Look Like?
Emcee – Kevin McHale, award-winning actor, singer, dancer – from “Glee” too!
Kevin McHale will lead a discussion with Lisa Filipelli, VP Talent, BigFrame (DreamWorks), Ingrid Nilsen, YouTube star; and Leo Camacho, social media expert
Nirvan Mullick, writer and director of “Caine’s Arcade“, Caine Monroy
Innovation Challenge Launch – Staci Lyons, President, Invent Your Future
Introducing Arya Goutam – 1st Place Winner Dare 2B Digital Silicon Valley
Kevin McHale and Staci Lyons will preview our sizzling program and you’re off to start your day!
Student Track – Student Workshops Session I, II, III
Each session runs 3 times. Every student attends a session of The Improvisor’s Mindset plus two workshops on your badge.
10:15 – 11:00am – Workshops
11:15 – 12:00pm – Workshops
12:15 – 1:15pm – Lunch
1:15 – 2:00pm – Workshops
The Improvisor’s Mindset – Austin Meyer and David Havens, Collective Capital – Improv is the art of making the best out of whatever opportunity is in front of you. It’s about being agile, calm, and resilient in the face of uncertainty. In this interactive workshop you will learn the key components of the Improvisor’s Mindset while playing, connecting, and creating with those around you.
- Human Exploration of Mars – David Oberhettinger, Chief Knowledge Officer, NASA/CalTech Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- #instacontent – With three pro-creators (and friends), Curt Marvis, Julie Zhan, Lizz Vega & Kathy Sue Holtorf (TheQYOU)
- Visualize your Career in Making Movies! – Amos Marvel, Vice President Human Resources, The Third Floor, Inc.
- Music Production Workshop – Schyler O’Neal, Education Coordinator, The GRAMMY Museum at LA Live
- Digital Animation – Briana Ornelas, Intern, Pixar (Downey native)
- Using Your Voice for Change – Paulo Simas, Founder W2O
- Think Big, Win Big – Yaniv Snir, Managing Director, Carrot
- Video Game Design – Tom Smith and Mary Jane Whiting
- Virtual Reality is Here – Eric Shamlin, VP/General Manager, The Secret Location
- Robot Revolution – Columbia Memorial Space Center
- Create Your Own Movie Trailer – Kay Vermeil, Student, USC
- Ultimate Recycling Machine – T4T
- Innovation Telephone – T4T
- Telling Your Story on Video – Craig Goodwill, filmmaker, writer/director; winner of Directors’ Guild Award for best short film
- Electrify our Transportation Future – Adriana Winfield, Southern California Edison
- YouTube Channel Workshop – Leo Camacho, Social Media Expert
- Urban Forestry – Amigos de los Rios
- Water Quality: Exploring the Science and Technology of Water – Rupam Soni, Engineer, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Solving Transportation Planning – Billy Hwang, Consultant, Parsons Brinckerhoff
- DIY: A Toy That has Super Powers – San Rahi, Global Head Development, Sid Lee Studio
- Digital Medicine – Benjamin Nguyen, Medical Student, USC
10:30 – 11:15 am – Session I
Emcee – Kevin McHale
Utility of STEM – Adrian Hightower, Ph.D. – Education Unit Manager, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
Nirvan Mullick, writer and director of “Caine’s Arcade” and Caine Monroy
11:30 – 12:15pm – Session II
Emcee – Becca Tobin, award-winning actress, singer, dancer – from “Glee” too!
Innovation Challenge – Alan Zack, CEO, Carrot
Guy Primus, Founder and CEO, The Virtual Reality Company
David Oberhettinger, Chief Knowledge Officer, NASA/CalTech Jet Propulsion Laboratory
12:15 – 1:15pm – Lunch
1:30 – 2:10pm – Session III
Emcee – Alan Zack
Science Learning & Local Resources
- Catherine Wood, Sr. Manager, Product Development & Curriculum, Disney Learning
- Leah Hanes, Ph.D., Executive Director, T4T – Educational challenges of project-based learning in resource challenged neighborhoods. The celebration of failure and the engineering design process.
- Benjamin Dickow, Columbia Memorial Space Center
- Claire Robinson, Founder & Managing Director, Amigos de los Rios
2:15 – 2:30pm – Closing Session
Becca Tobin and Kevin McHale wrap it up with Collective Capital
2:30 – 3:15pm Concert with WJM the Band
Introducing the stars of NBC’s “Little Big Shots” – WJM the Band! WJM is no ordinary band. William, Jeremy, and Max are three California seventh graders that have turned their love of music into an instrument for change. The boys support charities that benefit children in different ways, and choose to donate their compensation directly to different organizations such as UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland and San Francisco, The Bridge School and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford.